San Diego Neighborhood Schools Need The Repair and Student Safety Measure
$3.5 billion to repair aging neighborhood schools, including charter schools:
- San Diego Unified is made up of more than 225 schools and learning centers
- The average age of a San Diego Unified school is 48 years old
- The district serves over 121,000 students
PROTECTING THE HEALTH OF STUDENTS AND TEACHERS.
Remove lead from school drinking fountains, hazardous asbestos from ceilings and floors, lead paint and mold from school walls.
“Removing lead, asbestos and other dangerous chemicals from our schools is essential for protecting student health.”
Dr. Martin T. Stein, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics, University of California San Diego
CRITICAL REPAIRS TO AGING CLASSROOMS.
Many schools are 60+ years old. Measure YY will replace frayed wiring, aging plumbing and leaky roofs; renovate outdated electrical/heating systems; and fix cracked sidewalks, broken steps and deteriorating bathrooms.
Measure YY continues San Diego’s program to repair and upgrade every Neighborhood and Charter school.
IMPROVED SECURITY FOR 121,000 STUDENTS AT 200+ NEIGHBORHOOD AND CHARTER SCHOOLS.
- Guard against dangerous intruders
- Cameras/improved emergency communication
- Upgraded security doors, fencing and locks
- Improved fire/smoke alarms
- Enhanced earthquake safety
Captain Joseph Florentino testifies on the need for improved school safety measures contained in the school bond.
“A recent attempted school shooting in Northern California was thwarted and no children or teachers were hurt because the school was equipped with safety upgrades and trained staff.”
San Diego Schools Police Chief
PREPARING STUDENTS FOR COLLEGE AND 21ST CENTURY JOBS.
Renovate classrooms/science labs with up-to-date technology for teaching math, science, engineering and technology to help students enter college and succeed in a modern economy.
Expand vocational education/job training facilities to teach skills needed in the current and future economy to ensure non-college bound students obtain good-paying, 21st Century jobs.
ACCOUNTABILITY/STRICT TAXPAYER SAFEGUARDS BUILT RIGHT IN.
- ANNUAL, INDEPENDENT AUDITS.
- INDEPENDENT CITIZENS OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE.
- NO FUNDS FOR ADMINISTRATORS’ SALARIES OR PENSIONS.
- DETAILED PUBLIC EXPENDITURE PLAN.
- LOCAL FUNDING SPENT LOCALLY THAT SACRAMENTO CANNOT TAKE AWAY.
PLATINUM STANDARD FOR OPENNESS/TRANSPARENCY.
Past bonds have a perfect score for transparency from San Diego Taxpayers Association Education Fund and a AAA Bond Rating (the highest possible).
YES ON MEASURE YY.
Repair and Safety for Our Neighborhood and Charter Schools